Procedure in lodging a complaint and its requisites
Complaints to the Defender can be lodged:
- In writing – ideally on the printed complaint form sent as a normal letter to the following address: Veřejný ochránce práv, Údolní 39, 602 00 Brno. You may also choose to write your own letter where you describe the substantive points of your problem, specify the state administrative authority about which you are complaining and indicate what you wish to achieve through your complaint.
- By e-mail (even without electronic signature) sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, ideally by completing the complaint form and sending it as a file attached to the e-mail or by a simple e-mail containing the essential and necessary information, i.e. a description of the problem, and the state administrative authority about which you are complaining.
- Through the data box – ideally by sending the completed complaint form or your own letter containing important information on the problem and identification of the authority against which the complaint is directed.
- Using the interactive on-line form of the electronic filing department (in Czech only) where you should complete the information in the individual fields ensuring that your submission has all the necessary requisites. The important fields of the form are mandatory (the form will not take you to the next step until you complete them). A menu is available with some fields for convenience.
- Personal delivery – you need not send a written complaint by post or e-mail, but instead you can deliver it in person to the filing department of the Office of the Public Defender of Rights (Údolní 39, Brno) on business days from 8.00 A.M. to 4.00 P.M.
- Complaint compiled in person in a protocol – on business days from 8.00 A.M. to 11.30 A.M. and from 12.00 noon to 4.00 P.M., you may appear at Complaints in Person in the building of the Office of the Public Defender of Rights where a lawyer of the Office will discuss and draw up the complaint with you. The lawyer will also explain you any ambiguities and outline further possible steps.
DO NOT FORGET TO ALWAYS INDICATE IN THE COMPLAINT A TELEPHONE NUMBER ON WHICH YOU CAN BE CONTACTED. THIS MAY SIGNIFICANTLY SPEED UP THE HANDLING OF YOUR COMPLAINT.