The Public Defender of Rights
Citizens of the European Union > Social affairs and taxes

Social affairs and taxes

Health insurance and health care

  • Health care – as an EU citizen you have the right for the same health care as Czech citizens
  • You may file a complaint if you are not satisfied with the quality of health care that you received or with the conduct of medical staff, more information here  (  -> Procedure for filing a complaint against healthcare received)
  • You may be insured in public health insurance system only in one European Union country
  • The country of insurance is the country where you work either as an employee or as a self-employed person (with the exception of temporary posting of workers or seasonal workers, special rules apply to frontier workers)
  • If you are not an employee nor a self-employed person, your country of insurance is most probably the country where you habitually reside, more information here  ( -> Temporary stay in CZ -> EU insured person)
  • Health insurance premium – if you are employed under labour contract, the premium is deducted directly from your wages (work under agreement to complete a job or agreement to perform work is not considered as work under labour contract); if you are not, you have to pay the premium yourself – ask your health insurance company
  • If you are insured in another EU country, upon presentation of EHIC card (blue card proving public health insurance in EU) you are entitled to necessary health care in the Czech Republic
  • You have to notify your health insurance company about all changes of personal data (name and surname, address, change of employment)
  • Some insurance companies offer also private health insurance, but that does not necessarily cover all health care and usually is less advantageous than public health insurance
  • If you terminate your work in one country and plan to move to another, it is recommended to collect certificate proving the duration of your health insurance
  • For more information see

Social security

  • In order to make it easier for EU citizens to move and work abroad, EU has adopted rules for determination which country is responsible for payment of social security benefits
  • Under these rules you may be subject to legislation of only one country – the country of insurance
  • The country of insurance is the country where you work either as an employee or as a self-employed person (with the exception of temporary posting of workers or seasonal workers, special rules apply to frontier workers). If you don’t work, the country of insurance is usually the country of your residence
  • In the country of insurance you should have equal access to social security contributions as its citizens
  • When deciding about your entitlement to social security benefits, the competent institution takes into account periods of insurance, employment or self-employment completed in other EU countries
  • Social security contributions – if you are employed under labour contract, the contributions are deducted directly from your wages; if you are not, you have pay the contributions yourself – ask the local office of the Social Security Administration [Okresní správa sociálního zabezpečení]
  • In some cases you may be asked by social security institution or Labour Office to fill in a questionnaire to find out what your country of residence is
  • You may ask the Social Security Administration for more information on pensions (retirement or invalidity), sickness benefits, maternity or paternity benefits; or the Labour Office for more information on unemployment benefits, family benefits, assistance in material need
  • If you terminate your work in one country and plan to move to another, it is recommended to collect certificate proving the duration of your social insurance (ask labour authority office in the country of work)
  • More information is available on the website of Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs  or Czech Social Security Administration [Česká správa sociálního zabezpečení ] or contact EURES at local Labour Office
  • More information on social security coordination in the EU is available here  and EU Practical Guide on the Applicable Legislation in the EU may be download here 

Czech language courses

  • You may visit language courses in integration centres for improvement language skills. Integration centres are located in every county. Contacts for individual branches and further information about their activities can be found at .

Sale of goods and services

  • Providers of goods and services may not discriminate against the service recipient/buyer on grounds of her nationality, if there is no objectively justifiable ground. If you feel discriminated, you may file a complaint to the Czech Trade Inspection Authority [Česká obchodní inspekce] .
  • Provision of financial services (loan, mortgage, insurance) has its specificities. In case of discrimination, you may file a complaint to the Czech National Bank [Česká národní banka] (  -> Supervision, regulation -> Consumer protection and financial literacy -> Consumer protection), or in case of consumer credit provided by non-bank consumer credit providers to Czech Trade Inspection Authority [Česká obchodní inspekce].
  • It is important that everyone who legally resides in the Czech Republic or another EU country has the right to opening one basic payment account.


  • Payment of income taxes depends on whether you are a tax resident or tax non-resident. If you are a Czech tax resident, you have unlimited tax obligation, i.e. you are taxed on your worldwide income. If you are a Czech tax non-resident, you are taxed only on your Czech-source income.
  • It is not always easy to determine tax residency. The rules are to be found in the Act on Income Taxes [zákon o daních z příjmů]. If you are a tax resident of more countries, take a look in the treaty on avoidance of double taxation between the respective country and the Czech Republic, the list is available here, only in Czech ( -> Themes -> Taxes -> Double taxation).
  • Tax residency is usually determined according to this criteria (successively): 1. permanent home, 2. centre of vital interests, 3. habitual residence (in the Czech Republic at least 183 days in a year), 4. state citizenship. If you live and work in the Czech Republic for the whole year, you will most probably be Czech tax resident. But it depends on several circumstances, so in case of doubt is better to find professional assistance.
  • Income tax obligation is usually different if you are an employee or if you are self-employed.
  • If you live and work in the territory of the Czech Republic, you usually have to pay income tax from your salary or wages. If you are employed, your employer usually deducts the advance income tax. You may ask the employer to make annual statement of tax [roční zúčtování daně] (every year till 15th February), or you may file a tax declaration [daňové přiznání] yourself (every year till 1st April). If you are self-employed, you have to file the tax declaration yourself.
  • For more information visit Your Europe website ( -> Citizens -> Work & Retirement -> Taxes -> Income taxes abroad) or contact financial administration bodies (  English version -> Financial Administration -> Financial Administration Bodies).
  • In any case, we recommend you to ask a tax adviser for help. The list of income tax advisers, who speak English, is available here.

Education and schools

  • There are two types of school in the Czech Republic – public and private.
  • Public schools (elementary, high, college ) are free of charge. Kindergarten is usually not free of charge. You should count with other expenses for snacks and lunches anyway.
  • Private schools are not free of charge. School fees are different in each school.
  • It may be rather difficult to find a suitable school for your children. If there more than one schools (nursery schools, elementary school) in your city, the city has a duty to define school districts. For each school district one local school [spádová škola] is given. Children resident in school district of the local school have priority in enrolment procedure. Ask the municipality authority, which school in the city is your local school.
  • Preschool education  – Preschool education is the initial level of public education organised and governed by the requirements and instructions of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports [Ministerstvo školství, mládeže a tělovýchovy]. Last year of nursery school is called pre-school year. Every pre-school child is obliged to attend the kindergarten and the municipalities guarantee a place for your child. Otherwise, this child will not be allowed to attend the first year of elementary school. (  > Areas of Work > Preschool Education)
  • Elementary school – Children in the Czech Republic are obliged to attend the elementary for 9 years (usually between 6-15 y.).
  • High school – there are several types of high schools. For more information, visit this website ( ).
  • Universities – For more information about tertiary education, visit this website  (   Areas of Work -> Tertiary Education -> Czech education system). The list of Czech universities is available here.
  • For those children, whose mother tongue is other language than Czech (children with different mother tongue, in Czech „děti s OMJ“), there are several supportive measures. The aim of supportive measures is to adapt children’s education in the Czech Republic. For more information, ask Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports  [Ministerstvo školství, mládeže a tělovýchovy].
  • For more information about Czech educational system, visit this website ( or read this handbook for parents (available in CZE, ENG, AR, RUS, FR).


  • There are two types of housing in the Czech Republic – private and council housing
  • It is important to report your residence to the appropriate Foreign Police Department that holds jurisdiction in the location of your stay in the Czech Republic (Policie ČR, odbor cizinecké policie).
  • You can also buy own house/flat or you can eventually rent one. There are lot of websites, where you can find some accommodation. There are also many real estate agencies, which could help you find suitable accommodation.  Services of real estate agencies are paid. For this reason, you should ask about their prices in advance.
  • Rent arises from the lease contract between the landlord and the tenant (you). The Czech Civil Code protects rights of tenants.
  • If you wish to purchase real estate, you can ask a bank, which offers mortgage services.
  • Some cities offer council housing too. Council housing is mainly offered to people with a lower income. For this reason, the council housing is usually cheaper. You may ask the municipal authority in your city, if they also offer council housing and on what conditions.

Blind Friendly Web – přístupnost webových stránek pro nevidomé a slabozraké blind friendly web
created by Omega Design
Print  -  Site map  -  About website  -  Contact  -   Web accessibility  -  © The Office of The Public Defender of Rights